Asalamu alaykum ladies,
I hope you’re well. I’m always on the lookout for quick and easy breakfasts that I can cook in advance to make our mornings a little easier and this recipe ticks all the boxes. The main ingredient for this recipe is barley flour, known as talbina in Arabic. Barley has lots of health benefits and is also a prophetic food, which makes this recipe extra special. I fell in love with barley after I gave birth to my son; I had a steaming hot bowl minutes after I delivered and it was wonderfully comforting, Allahuma barik.
My kids, however, aren’t too fond of ‘oatmeal’ style barley though, so I thought of the one breakfast item they all love, pancakes!
Alhamdulillah, these barley pancakes, are quick and easy to make and are also filling.
2 cups barley flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups milk
2 cups water
2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil (extra for cooking)
Pinch of salt
(Yields approximately 12 pancakes)
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl (barley flour, cinnamon).
2. Melt butter in a cup; whilst its warming whisk the wet ingredients in a separate bowl (eggs, milk, water, and honey.)
3. When the butter has melted, mix into the wet ingredients.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry flour mix. Mix thoroughly until there are no lumps. The consistency will be quite runny which is fine.
5. Heat a non-stick pan and lightly coat with butter or oil. Ladle in about 1/2 cup of the batter, and swirl around the pan gently till a thin pancake/crêpe forms.
6. Cook until golden on one side (takes about two/three minutes) and then flip over and cook for another minute or so.
Top with honey or maple syrup or spread on some nut butter and serve warm! You could totally omit the honey from the recipe too if you like, and let the sweetness come purely from the topping.
I would definitely encourage you to make a bigger batch and store the rest in a ziplock bag in the fridge and reheat when needed. Pre-cooked breakfasts are such a blessing on busy homeschool mornings.
Let me know if you made these by tagging me on Instagram. Hope you and your family enjoy them as much as we do.
3 thoughts on “Talbina (Barley) Pancakes Recipe”
Masha’Allah, great idea! Super healthy and looks great💗💗
Jazakhallahu khairan sis!