Asalamu alaykum ladies. Im back with another easy dinner idea. This is my go-to meat sauce recipe that I use for spaghetti sauce, chilli and lasagna. Its super simple, minimal ingredients and fuss-free.
1 medium onion
0.5-0.7 kg mincemeat.
1 tablespoon minced garlic.
2 tablespoons tomato puree/paste
3 cans of chopped/plum tomatoes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
A handful of coriander or parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained).
1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained).
1 can sweetcorn (rinsed and drained).
1. Heat oil in a pan, and fry onions till translucent. Then fry minced garlic for 30 seconds or so till fragrant.
2. Add mince and brown, taking care to break up lumps as its cooking (lumpy mince is unpleasant!).
3. As the mince is cooking, blend the tinned tomatoes and coriander.
4. When the mince is fully browned and no longer lumpy, add all the seasonings and cook a couple of minutes.
5. Pour the blended ingredients into the pan, followed by the tomato puree. Mix well and allow to boil.
6. Add water and cook on low heat for about 1 1/2 hours. Mincemeat always tastes best when cooked slowly I think. About ten minutes before cooking time is up, add all the beans and corn.
7. Top with cheese and serve!
So, this is the base recipe that I would usually serve over whole wheat spaghetti. To make this more chilli like, add more beans and spice like chilli/cayenne. Or for lasagna omit the beans and add dried Italian herbs to the seasonings.
If you’d like my lasagna recipe, do let me know – and yes, lasagna can be made on homeschool days too!