Asalamu alaykum ladies. I shared a snippet of this foolproof homemade quiche on Instagram the other day and several of you requested the recipe. So here it is.
For the crust
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
2 tablespoons water
pinch of salt (can omit of butter is salted)
For the filling
1/2 cup of milk
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups of cheese of your choice (I used mozzarella this time but cheddar works great)
Salt to taste
extra butter/oil to grease the pie dish.
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Start with the crust. Grease a 12-inch pie dish. To the centre, add the whole wheat flour, melted butter, water and herbs. Mix together until a fine crumb texture. Then knead a couple of minutes and using your hands flatten the dough into the pie dish including the sides.
3. Whisk all the filling ingredients except the cheese and tomatoes and pour onto the crust.
4. Top with cheese and slices of tomato.
5. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, until the egg mixture has set and the crust is golden.
This is a perfect option for a quick lunch/dinner for homeschool days. The filling can be changed up easily; add some wilted spinach, pre-cooked veg like broccoli or mushrooms for some variations. Serve with a salad or some baked beans, yum!