Asalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu ladies,
if you follow me on Instagram you know that I’ve been spring cleaning all day trying to get the house decluttered before the blessed days of Dhul hijjah begin (tomorrow!).
Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) also reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no deed more precious in the sight of Allaah, nor greater in reward, than a good deed done during the ten days of Sacrifice….”
I also wanted to get the children just as we excited as we do in the last ten days of Ramadan, but I wanted to keep it simple so that its doable and rather than focusing on ‘getting things done’ we can use these as prompts to increase in good and generally benefit from these blessed days.
I made this quick simple banner, and under each letter, there is a good deed we can try and implement; one for each day of Dhul Hijjah. Once a flap has been lifted, we will leave it overturned. On the 8th day, we will lift the 9th flap the night before as to make the intention to fast insha’Allah.
Here is what we will be focusing on insha’Allah!
- Increasing in our dhikr, with takbeer, tahleel and tamheed.
- Encouraging each other to pray more attentively.
- Looking through the mushaf and searching for ayaats that mention Hajj and Dhul-Hijjah, starting off with Surah Al-Hajj.
- Drawing a map of the main sites of Hajj and the journey the pilgrims undertake.
- Increase in our Qur’an and read some tafseer.
- Encouraging kids to increase in their manners such as finding opportunities to be generous, helpful and kind.
- Reading the farewell sermon that was delivered by the Prophet Sallahu alayhi wasalam on Arafah.
- increasing in dua for ourselves, the hujaaj and the Ummah in general.
- Encourage older children to fast; also start reciting takbeerat which the younger kiddos can get involved too.
- Discussing the virtue of sacrifice, the story of Ibrahim alayihisalam and also encouraging acts of sunnan on Eid day.
May Allah make us from amongst those who benefit from these blessed days. Do you have any activities planned? Share below.