Asalamu’alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu ladies,
I hope Ramadan is going well. I wanted to pop on and share a recipe that my kiddos love to eat, a Ramadan favourite of theirs; pizza puffs. This is such an easy recipe, take minutes to prep, and uses store cupboard ingredients so very frugal, yet delicious. This is a great recipe for the kids too, they can pretty much make it themselves.
Child Friendly Pizza Puffs
800g puff pastry squares
For the filling
1 1/2 cups tomatoes paste/puree
2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
2 1/2 cups cheese ( I recommend cheddar, but use what you have)
For the glaze
2 beaten eggs
Extra Italian seasoning and cheese (for sprinkling)
1. Preheat the oven to 240C.
2. Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl.
3. Take a puff pastry square and add about a spoon of filling into the centre.
4. Fold over the puff pastry square, and crimp the sides with a fork. Also, prick the centre of the parcel a couple of times too.
4. Lightly grease a pan (I use my pizza pan) and place the pizza puffs onto the pan. Brush with the beaten eggs mixture, and sprinkle with extra Italian herbs and cheese.
5. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
If you wish to make a batch of these, simply make the puffs without the glaze, place onto a tray, and pop them into the freezer for a few minutes. This will ensure that the puffs don’t stick together. You can then pop them into a ziplock bag to glaze and bake when needed. Any leftover filling can easily be made into a pizza toastie!