Asalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu Mamas. I whipped up this dinner a couple of weeks ago and it was enjoyed by everyone. Its quick, easy, and delicious and you can easily double the recipe to make a bigger batch.
500g Chicken breast (chopped into small cubes)
200g Mushrooms (finely chopped)
400g Broccoli (Fresh or frozen works)
180g Cream cheese or Labneh
1 Medium white onion (finely diced)
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablesppon Garlic and Ginger paste
1 cup of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of veg/chicken stock cube
1 cup Milk
A handful of fresh parsley
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon Mustard
Cheese of your choice (optional)
400g Pasta (We used whole wheat rotini but you can use what you have)
1 Tablespoon of Oil
1. To begin, preheat the oil. Once heated, lightly fry the chicken breast.
1. When the chicken has sealed and changed colour, add the onions and sauté.
3. After the onions have turned transparent add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté for thirty seconds or so.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook until they develop a little colour and the water has dried. Then add all the seasonings except for the fresh parsley.
5. After a few minutes add the water (mixed with stock) and the milk. Let the sauce boil and then simmer on medium heat until the chicken has cooked through.
6. Whilst the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta. Five minutes before the pasta has cooked, add your broccoli and cook both together. Drain and set aside when done.
7. When the chicken has cooked, you will notice that the sauce should be thicker. If still too thin, cook for a little longer.
8. Once the sauce is done, turn off the heat. Add the cream cheese and mustard and stir through. Sprinkle on fresh parsley and some freshly ground black pepper.
If you want to serve straight away mix the sauce through with the pasta and sprinkle on some cheese. However, if you make more than one batch I would suggest you store the sauce and pasta separate, and only mix through just before serving; this ensures the pasta doesn’t soak up the sauce and dry out!